Monday, 29 April 2013

Phase Two. The One Where Reality Bites Me In The Bum And I Get Carried Away.



Now comes the hard part.  With all the will in the world I can not make plants out of nothing.  I have split some existing plants up, and been surprised at the stuff that just won't die, but there is still a lot of empty space to fill.  I have sat for weeks looking at the dim and depressing place that is my back garden, desperately trying to come up with ideas that cost nothing.  I scoured pinterest for ideas and have some great ones.  Although I can up-cycle with the best of them, having nothing to put plant does hinder things somewhat.  These are some of my fav's and I can hear my husband now;  "that tool box is gonna rust like hell",  "are those boxes treated?, they're going to rot and fall apart",  "how are those wellies held on the fence, they will rip", it goes on.  My Mr Practical. I love you honey but I fully intend to ignore you.

 

 

I have to fork out some hard earned cash.  I've resigned myself that a shoestring is still going to cost money so I had better make it work.  I gave myself a budget of €150 and am praying that it will be enough.  Next stop the garden centre.


Garden centre's are the Ikea for the over 30's.  You go there repeating to yourself a mantra that you will only buy a bag of compost that your roses are craving, but you become hypnotized by the instant gratification of blooming flowers, lush bedding plants and sexily glazed pots.  It doesn't seem like much, a fiver here and there, those bargain 10 plants for 30 bucks etc etc... when bloody hell if you don't have to sell a kidney at the check out for a few geraniums and a bag of potting soil and that oh so needed fangled irrigation system that will save you in the long run.  You act cool, like it ain't no thing, portraying confidence and purpose to those around you.  A manic grin is stuck to your face as you start to sweat as the acned teenager behind the register is scanning your wares.  "Where did that pampas grass come from"? and "who the bloody hell put those bloody twinkle lights there"?  You are screaming on the inside "oh shit shit shit shit", but pride and the judgemental hag behind you won't let you put anything back.  You are stuck with it.
Oh, but I had a plan.  Instead of going for the instant gratification of plants, I was going to buy seeds.  Gosh I was good.  I walked away having spent €55 of my hard earned cash on 4 x 40l bags of potting soil (€10) a load of packs of seeds (more on that later), some dahlia tubers (because they are so pretty) and yes I caved and bought a few plants.  Some Hosta's for the shady parts of my garden, a succulent of some description for the sunny end, a small rhododendron and two types of lavender.  Later that day, in a fit of gardening excitement and because they were a bargain I also bought 4 small geraniums and some other plants who's name escapes me for €3 a piece.  My total is now up to €60.  Whoop whoop.  I then managed to score a fantastic garden coffee table type affair for €30 on the internet.  Bargain.  Not bad going I say.

This little fella had a hole drilled and is not
mounted on the fence.
Drilled a hole in this metal bucket and stuck
in a geranium.  Cute huh?
Spray painting the bed
post and a picture frame.
Who doesn't love chimps
in head phones? 
Now a visual partition and
eventual sweet pea frame.
One of the tea light holders,
I drilled a small hole to drain
rain water, and to please my
husband.
Stags heads.
The tile and stone picture has been
up for a while but the yellow
frame was added today.  The
lantern has been on my mantle for
ages, but is now outside where it
belongs.






















But I still had more work to do before the serious business of planting sewing seeds began.  The next day I cracked on.  The other fence post was painted, as were some picture frames, some pots and some tee light holders.  Holes were drilled in inside pots, tins and the fence.  I hung up some existing brackets and stencilled some more stuff.  Lastly, I drew a big ass picture on the back fence, and I have to say I am stoked.

The big picture, and some more stags heads.  The flag stones are killing me, and I would love to cover them.  Suggestions anyone?  It has also not escaped my notice that the stags heads look like they're bleeding.  Macabre huh? 




I still have some more projects to do, and today the serious business of planting commences.  More on that as I go but for now, I am super happy with the progress.


1 comment:

  1. I could just wait and tell you this idea tomorrow but no. There is no time like the present. Which is why I'm giving this little intro to get you really, super, impossibly, do-the-pee-dance, excited.

    A BUG HOTEL.

    http://www.sp4ce.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/IMG_1387.jpg

    Little Miss Thang will love it when she's older and in the mean time you get to build stuff and also squeel when bugs actually start visiting. Also maybe we can re-enact this at some point in the summer? Though I vote for jelly worms and popcorn spiders http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqREvb2VTjw


    maybe you can make a small one and call it the "Bugalow". Sometimes I do tickle myself so.

    ReplyDelete