Wednesday, 12 June 2013

Sewing sewing sewing. I am in the frikkin zone.....only the zone is nap length.

Yup, I started sewing again.  Its been a while of little stops and starts, but with the advancing summer (finally)  I discovered that my summer clothes from last year are way to big for me now.  Yay, you might say, and I would normally agree with you.  Don't get me wrong, I am stoked to finally be getting fit and all that, but I have no money to buy new clothes.  I do however, have a rather large stash of fabric, a sewing machine and a passing interest in making stuff.  So with that, I have now officially finished my first properly fitted dress, and have drawn and cut out the patterns for a skirt and a top.  Good God, I am positively giddy from productivity.

I have no commandeered a few friends into a bit of a sew-a-long.  We are mostly rank amatures who have never made real people clothing before and are a bit scared go it alone.  We are officially the blind leading the blind.  As a group we will each be making this the Laurel pattern by Colette.



It is lightly fitted, can be made into a tunic or a blouse and seems fairly straight forward.   The pattern was digital and could be printed off.  Bloody hell fire though, have you ever tried taping a 45 page pdf together with a toddler in the area.  Just a tip, DON'T.  I am still not sure what fabric I will make it in, but I know it will involve a Peter Pan collar with thanks to my new blog crush (the lovely Gertie from the blog for better sewing.) and be blouse length.  Ish.  Just for giggles and kicks I will also be making myself Hollyburn skirt from Sewaholic in this fabric fantastic double gauze fabric from Nani Iro.



Amazeballs huh?  I am utterly terrifyed about cutting into it as it was not cheap and there is very little room for error.  Also I will be making the the Violet blouse from Colette.  I am hoping to make this in some fabby voile that I have but we will see how it goes.  I feel I may be over extending a wee bit.

Now comes the hard part.  I have learned the hard way that it really is in your interest to make a muslin.  This is like a rough draught in cheapo fabric (I personally use old sheets) before you cut into the good stuff.  I also learned that one must wash said sexy new fabric before you use it as there is nothing more soul destroying than putting blood, sweat, tears and a shit load of money into something and then sobbing into your (in my case) very confused husbands arms as said garment now looks like a misshapen potato sack that would fit your daughters Barbi (if she had one).  Any way you get my gist.

This proves somewhat of a challenge to my ADD addled brain.  I am proud to say that so far I have mostly adhered to this system. Mostly.  There have been a few over enthusiastic mishaps with Monkey stuff, like this..

It started out as a fun summer hat for the Monkey and due to a slight needle debacle, it got a larger seam on the brim.  It looks more like a bowl than a hat, so a bowl it shall be.

There have been a few triumphs though.  Inspired by this look from the lovely blog nestedinstitches, I have made the shorts and am about to make the tunic.  The tunic is her own design but there is a similar one from Olive + S called Puppet show, and the shorts she made are from those, so here they are in all their vintage cord glory.  I will make the tunic in a light sand colour with the collar in the same cord.  So freaking cute. 

 

I also finally got around to making a Geranium dress from Made by Rae.  I already made her Washi dress for me and I love it!!!!  This one was made in the most fantastic light weight cotton from a shop near me called Heinde en Van Verre.  They import their fabrics from India and they are so lovely that is blows my mind.  This one was made in a light weight cotton with such a pretty sheen.  The colour combination is fun and looks great on the Monkey.

 


On that note, I applaud you if you have made it to the end of this posting and possibly have another in my this week with more "Garden on a shoestring" updates.





3 comments:

  1. Awesome. I'm so impressed. I too have a bunch of clothes too big for me (yay!) - but have only got as far as unpicking one half of a seam on one dress. Not quite sure what my plans are from hereon in - a sew-er I am not, but every now and then I think 'sod it, I'll just have a go'. It often ends badly but now I can live vicariously through you and your sewing successes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay you. You have no idea how many bags of clothes I have that require pimping, repurposing and or shredding for other things. Hi my name is zoe and I am a hoarder. Taking clothes in is just not worth the effort. Yay you.

      Delete
  2. Wow- I love that geranium dress! Such a great color combination and I bet the lightweight fabric feels fantastic.

    ReplyDelete